Global Internet Usage 2010 facts and stats
By Sam Silverwood Cope, May 12th, 2010
For almost ten years most people in business in the major cities in the UK, US, Japan and Western Europe have enjoyed speedy broadband connection with the capacity to share and view large amounts of data. Businesses have prospered, old industries have diversified and whole new sectors (like SEO) have appeared.
However that isn’t the case for the majority of the World’s population. Vast sections of the planet don’t have access to the internet.
But things are changing, and when the large populations of China, India, Russia and Brazil enjoy a higher penetration of internet usage a new world order could be upon us.
Internet Usage hasn’t even touched the surface
- 3/4 of the world population do not have direct access to the internet
- That’s about 5 billion people who don’t have access to the internet around the world
- 1.7 billion people have access to the Internet around the world
The Power of China
- One in five global internet users are Chinese
- More people use the internet in China than the whole population of the United States
- The percentage of the population who have access to the Internet in China is still less than the world average
- 78% of Chinese people don’t have access to the Internet
Highest internet usage by population and percentage
- China has the most internet users in the world with 360 million, followed by The USA (227 million) then Japan (95 million)
- From the top twenty list of users, the highest penetration of percentage of population to internet usage is South Korea with 77.3%, second is The United Kingdom
- Iceland has the highest penetration as a percentage of population of internet usage in the world with 90%
- More people have access to the internet in Iran than in Italy, Spain or Canada
- Poland (52%) has a higher penetration to the internet by percentage of population than Italy (51%)
Internet Usage By Continent
- Asia has the most internet users in the world with 764 million users and 42% of the global population
- However 80% of the Asian population does not have access to the internet
- Europe has 165 million more internet users than North America
- Africa experienced the largest growth in internet usage over the last decade with an increase of 1,800%
The Future is India
It amazes me that India only has a 7% penetration of their near 1 billion population. Yes of course it is a vast country with many rural areas and a population that experiences abject poverty, but it has a huge technology service offering already. To think when penetration of internet users goes above the 50% level, India will be technology leaders surely.
Already Indian names now figure prominently on the league tables of the wealthiest people on the planet. The country boasts 47 billionaires, up from 12 in 2005 and just nine at the turn of the millennium, compared with 10 in France and 35 in Britain. The highest-ranking Indian in the Forbes rankings is Mukesh Ambani, the world’s fourth-richest man with £19bn. If the Internet has an impact on wealth, which it surely does, then India is just getting started.
When India rises to even 20% of internet population penetration no doubt every business in the world and every social media users will have some direct contact with an Indian company or fellow user.Share
Italy has had a legacy of being somewhat behind...
Any site that uses a sub-domain structure could face...